Obtaining an Assumed Name Certificate of Registration
What is an Assumed Name?
In Illinois, businesses that do not incorporate are, in some cases, required to register with each County in which they conduct business. The Ogle County Clerk is the official record keeper for business operating under assumed or fictitious names of their owners. For example, a professional that conducts business under the name of John Doe C.P.A., does not have to file; however, should the owner do business under the assumed name of Doe Accounting, then that owner is obligated to file.
You may find a complete legal definition of the businesses required to file with the County Clerk by accessing the Illinois Compiled Statutes.
Businesses required to file:
• Sole proprietorships – Businesses defined under state law as being owned by an individual or husband and wife.
• General partnerships – Associations of two or more persons who carry on as co-owners a for-profit business entity.
Businesses not required to file with the County Clerk: The following types of companies that conduct business are not required to file assumed names, but are required to file with the Secretary of State:
• Limited Liability Companies – Business entities, distinct from its members, who maintain on file a limited liability registration with the Secretary of State’s office.
• Limited Liability Partnerships – An association of two or more persons who carry on as co-owners for a for-profit business entity that is distinct from its partners and which maintains on file a limited liability registration with the Secretary of State’s office.
• Limited Partnerships – An association of two or more persons who carry on as full and partial owners or investors for a for-profit business entity that is distinct from its partners.
• Corporations – A business managed by directors and created with powers (to issue shares, buy properties, etc.) and liabilities independent of its individual members as defined by state law.
Businesses that must file with the Secretary of State may do so by accessing the online portal.