If you were not born in Ogle County, please contact either the county of your birth, or contact the Illinois Department of Vital Records at 217-782-6553.
- Under Illinois State Law (410 ILCS 535-Vital Records Act) only specific individuals have legal access to birth, death, or marriage/civil union licenses. The Ogle County Clerk’s Office will issue certificates to authorized individuals only. Vital records are not considered public information, neither are they subject to the Freedom of Information Act.
Please Note: Absolutely no information can be given over the telephone regarding vital records.
To obtain a certified copy of a birth certificate, you must be one of the following:
- A legal guardian with certified court documentation proving verification of guardianship.
- A legal representative, for example an attorney acting on behalf of the person named on the birth certificate (must have authorized documentation).
- An agent approved by the state registrar.
- Please read the following for instructions on requesting guidelines and procedures:
- An agent authorized by power of attorney that specifically states that the record can be obtained.
- An agent having a notarized letter from any of the above authorizing your access to the record.
- Of legal age (18 or an emancipated minor with certified court documentation) if requesting your own.
- The mother or father (if listed on the certificate) of the child whose certificate is being requested.
Requests in Person
Requests made in the office can be paid by cash or check and credit or debit ($1.00 convenience fee)
- Office hours are Monday through Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm (except for county holidays).
- Requests made in the office require a valid driver’s license, state-issued ID, or a passport.
- $22 for first copy, $4 for each additional copy of the same birth certificate.
Request by Mail
All mail requests must include a copy of both sides of a signature ID, application, proper payment and self-addressed stamped envelope.
Vital Records Application (Online Payment) – No Refunds
- Read the following steps then visit the Illinois E-Pay website.
- Click on the type of vital record you are requesting from the list at the bottom of the page.
- Complete the required information on the screens that follow. You will receive a confirmation number once the transaction is successful.
- Note: Print the confirmation page and follow step 5 and 6 to complete your order.
- Place a copy of both sides of your photo identification (example: a driver’s license or state-issued ID card) which displays your signature on the confirmation page or any piece of paper with the confirmation number, and make a photocopy.
- If you are NOT the cardholder, the cardholder will need to sign the confirmation page as well.
- Sign, date, and fax the document to the Ogle County Clerk at (815) 732-3477 or scan it and e-mail email@example.com
IN ORDER FOR YOUR REQUEST TO BE COMPLETED, ALL REQUIRED INFORMATION MUST BE SUPPLIED AND THE EMAIL OR FAX LEGIBLE.
- Required information includes: valid photo identification, required documentation, and the confirmation page. You will receive a confirmation number from E-Pay for your records verifying your transaction was successful.
- If your follow-up confirmation is received after 2:30 pm, your request will be processed and mailed the following business day.
- You can e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to verify a request for genealogical purposes only. You must submit the following information – name of person – name of event – place of event – date (or 10 year span to search). These will be answered as time permits.
- There is a convenience fee of $1.75 for each transaction. This fee is not charged by the Ogle County Clerk.