Availability Under Illinois State Law (410 ILCS 535-Vital Records Act) only specific individuals have legal access to birth, death, or marriage certificates. The Ogle County Clerk’s Office will issue certificates to authorized individuals only. To do otherwise is a violation of Illinois Law. Vital records are not considered public information, neither are they subject to the Freedom of Information Act.
Please note: Absolutely no information can be given over the telephone regarding vital records.
To obtain a certified copy of a death certificate, you must be one of the following:
- Executor or administrator of the decedent’s estate
- Someone who has a personal or property right interest in the certificate
- The informant listed on the death certificate
- The next of kin
Death records are not public records and are only available to those who have a personal or property right interest (“property right” is defined as something that it is owned, tangible such as a car title or a property deed) with the decedent. If you are not a relative of the deceased person, a letter or document from the office or agency that needs the death certificate must accompany the request.
Requests in Person Requests made in the office can be paid by cash or check
- Office hours are Monday through Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm (except for county holidays).
- Requests made in the office require a valid driver’s license, state-issued ID, or a passport
- $26 for first copy, $8 for each additional copy of the same death certificate.
Requests by Mail All mail requests must include a copy of both sides of a signature ID, signed application, proper payment and self-addressed stamped envelope.
Vital Records Application (Online Payment) – No Refunds
- Read the following steps then visit the Illinois E-Pay website.
- Click on the type of vital record you are requesting from the list at the bottom of the page.
- Complete the required information on the screens that follow. You will receive a confirmation number once the transaction is successful.
- Note: Print the confirmation page and follow step 5 and 6 to complete your order.
- Place a copy of both sides of your photo identification (example: a driver’s license or state-issued ID card) which displays your signature on the confirmation page or any piece of paper with the confirmation number, and make a photocopy.
- If you are NOT the cardholder, the cardholder will need to sign the confirmation page as well.
- Sign, date, and fax the document to the Ogle County Clerk at (815) 732-3477 or scan it and e-mail email@example.com
- Click here to start your order Illinois E-Pay
- IN ORDER FOR YOUR REQUEST TO BE COMPLETED, ALL REQUIRED INFORMATION MUST BE SUPPLIED AND THE EMAIL OR FAX LEGIBLE.
- Required information includes: valid photo identification, required documentation, and the confirmation page. You will receive a confirmation number from E-Pay for your records verifying your transaction was successful.
- If your follow-up confirmation is received after 2:30 pm, your request will be processed and mailed the following business day.
- You can e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to verify a request for genealogical purposes only. You must submit the following information – name of person – name of event – place of event – date (or 10 year span to search). These will be answered as time permits.
- There is a convenience fee of $1.75 for each transaction. This fee is not charged by the Ogle County Clerk.